When it comes to making ‘sides’ for family picnics ~ there is a most requested ‘elbow macaroni salad‘ on my side of the family and Gram’s family favorite ‘rotini salad‘ on my hubby’s side of the family.
Each recipe having a very different flavor….and each will have you adding an extra spoonful to your plate.
The ‘elbow macaroni salad’ recipe is a little creamier and sweeter than the other and pairs nicely with a pulled beef sandwich (here).
Add a spoonful of baked beans (preferably my Nana’s) and you will have a delicious meal at any picnic….or anytime of the year.
Elbow Macaroni Salad
- 16 oz elbow macaroni
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups mayo
- 16 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup sugar (I reduce to 1/4 cup once in a while)
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- combine mayo, onions, peppers, sweetened condensed milk, sugar and vinegar into a bowl. Cook Macaroni. Pour combination over cooled cooked macaroni. Season with salt & pepper. Chill at least 8 hours (I chill overnight) to thicken, then mix well and serve.