This recipe for ‘Cottage Potatoes‘, will have your family asking for it again and again. Comfort food does that.
It is a compromise in our home ~ for my husband likes baked potatoes and I love mashed potatoes. This twice baked potato recipe pleases both of us.
It would have also pleased my Dad and Father-in-law ~ for they were both meat and potato dads. They both were hard working men who came home tired after long shifts ~ meat and potatoes were a comfort food for sure.
It’s pretty basic, meat, potato, vegetable….and gravy. The seasoning and ingredients ~ in the gravy and potatoes will leave you feeling satisfied and wanting more at the same time.
Mix a few peas and sliced mushrooms in if it pleases you.
A nice flavor combo.
It’s really just a couple of extra steps to create the twice-baked potato…and the meat mixin’s are prepared in one pan.
- 1 lb ground hamburger
- a few thinly sliced carrots (to your taste)
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 14oz can beef broth
- 1 .88 pkg brown gravy mix
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce (my fav)
- 4 large BAKED baking potatoes (I baked at 400 for 1 hour)
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1/4 c butter
- a shake of salt
- a shake of pepper
- In a large pan cook ground hamburger, carrots and onion over med-high heat until browned and crumbly. Drain if needed. Stir in broth, gravy mix and worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Slice off top 'skin' of potato (eat), then scoop out potato and place into bowl. Repeat with all 4 potatoes. Leave the shell in-tact. Add sour cream, butter, S & P to potatoes and mix with a hand-mixer to combine until it is the texture you desire. Spoon into potato shells.
- Top the Cottage Potato with Meat Mixture. Serve and enjoy!
4 thoughts on “Cottage Potatoes”
Ooh, yummy and satisfying food!
It looks great, Amy. So satisfying and comforting! Thank you! 🙂
and oh so yummy!