What do you do with expired Crisco (lard), store brand old sunflower seeds, and cranberries left from Christmas?
Why you make bird feed!
Vintage Jello Molds make the perfect shape feeders…along with paper Dixie Cups.
and adding ‘the signature’ baker’s twine and of course some blue twine made it extra sweet and personal.
Classic Bird Feed
- Crisco or other brand Lard
- Purchased Bird Seed
- Sunflower Seeds
- Small Paper Dixie Cups or Molds
- Baker’s Twine or String of Choice
- Place 1/2 cup (or as much needed) Crisco in glass measuring cup, microwave approximately 1 minute or until melted.
- Center string or twine into the bottom of the cup or mold. Be sure to loop it and tie the end. Keep the loop to the top of the cup or mold.
- Fill cups or molds about 3/4 full with bird seed, sunflower seeds and cranberries.
- Pour melted Crisco into the cup until almost full.
- Add sunflower seeds and cranberries into the top of the cup or mold (be sure it is partially into the melted Crisco).
- Center the twine or string and clip with a clothspin if needed to keep centered.
- Place cup or mold in freezer for several hours until solid.
- After Crisco has frozen, remove from freezer and pop Feed from mold or tear away paper of cups.
- Feed the Birds ~ Hang outside!
String the feed from your feeders, lanterns and tree branches!
I waited and waited and waited for my feather’d friends, trying to get a picture of them feasting on my gift. I guess they were not up for photos….no visitors yet.
But the feed sure does look pretty.
Another pretty package tied up with string, this time for our feathery friends. Just like a ‘Door Knob Gift’.
A free bird-y lesson for you ‘Blue Bird of Happiness’
click on photo and Enjoy!